Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Loss of appetite after vomiting. possible hair or fiber from

Customer Question

loss of appetite after vomiting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: possible hair or fiber from cat mat
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Milo, 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Milo?
Customer: hw has has a history of inflammation around pyloric area of stomach
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Milo is refusing to eat after a bout of vomiting, and a history of pyloric gastric inflammation. How was that diagnosed? Ultrasound, or biopsy?

Cats that have a gastrointestinal blockage or very abnormal intestinal motility often vomit and then refuse to eat. Was his vomit food? Bile (yellow), green or black in color?

Vomiting can be related to chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland) internal organ failure, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

In his case with his history we need to worry about pyloric stenosis, progressive inflammatory bowel disease or gastrointestinal lymphoma. But he may also have an obstruction due to a narrowed stomach outflow tract.

Is he a kitty that gets outdoors unsupervised such that he could get into something you don't know about?

Or is he a kitty that eats things like rubber bands, toys other things he should not?

Because he isn't eating or drinking I am very concerned about him. He will quickly become dehydrated, especially because this started with him vomiting, and as his liver breaks down fats for energy to live he may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis.

Ideally he would see a veterinarian if this has been going on for more than 48 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine him, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate him and know best how to treat him.

In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate him.

If you cannot have him seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home, although if he doesn't respond quickly he should see a veterinarian.

At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help him feel better. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

You can use a medicine syringe to try and force water or clear broth into him orally.

A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering soft foods mixed with water to make eating and swallowing more comfortable.

If he is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

If Milo continues to not eat and continues to vomit he should see his veterinarian or an emergency veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****