Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cat has the same problem as described here, she does have

Customer Question

my cat has the same problem as described here, she does have infected gum slightly, but been able to keep it under control by brushing her teeth and she's not very red in her gums. Now suddenly she can't close her mouth. terrible smell, horrible drooling and she has vomited, vomited foam
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: no
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: trunte and she is 8 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Truant?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

What does this smell like (ie pus/infection, ammonia, etc)?

Since you noted that she cannot close her mouth, any chance of trauma (ie car accident, etc)?

Any tarter on the teeth? Any sores or ulcers in her mouth?

Can she drink and keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its the last 2 days she has not been able to close her mouth. Otherwise i guess i would have taken her to the local vet allready.
No chance of trauma, she only gets outside under supervision in harness on the terrace.
The smell, its like something rotten. Not sure what to call that.
Yes i was feeling around her mouth and she was sore and kinda swollen one place, she won't let me look
She refuses to drink water, always has. She eats normal, trouble chewing.
yes, parts are pale, yes its very moist and her drool is rather sticky.
i dont think she feels pain when i press her belly. she just looks at me when i does it, not upset
possibly, she eats plants alot, both indoor and outdoor, she loves grass. she is a forest cat mix, helps her with keeping furballs under control i think.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am very glad to hear that we can rule out trauma for her, since jaw fractures and nerve damage are common reasons for cats to not be able to close their mouths. With those aside and all her other signs, we'd be more suspicious of oral pain/discomfort causing her not to do so. And if we have a swollen oral lesion, this is likely the culprit for that, her jaw position as well as the drooling and even the vomiting. Furthermore, with it being swollen and that horrible odor, I suspect the lesion is infected. Just to note, this could be a primary abscess/infection but we can also see traumatic, viral induced, kidney disease induced and cancerous ulcers. So, in this case, we do need tread with care.

Now since she is eating, we can monitor her until your regular vet is open. Though since this sounds quite infected and uncomfortable, you may want to have her seen by the local urgent care vet sooner. Whichever you choose, we'd want to consider watering down her food or try feeding canned food if we can to increase fluid intake if she doesn't' drink. Or if she is just fussy about fluids, we can add low salt chicken broth or lactose free milk to help get her drinking.

Overall, we do have very serious concerns for the signs you are reporting and in this case that oral lesion is at the root of all the signs you are seeing. So, we need to keep her taking in food and fluids over the weekend but we do need this checked since it will need antibiotics and cat safe pain relief (which human OTC ones are cat toxic) at the very least but we'd also want her vet to rule out those other causes to address them for her and get her settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.