Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat Gizmo that is 3 years of age hasn't been eating a day

Customer Question

My cat Gizmo that is 3 years of age hasn't been eating for about a day now and has had 1 episode of diarrhea and when you look at her face her right ear is lower than her left
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Corry, you've described a head tilt which is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of vestibular (balance) disorder. Have you noticed a nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth) and/or ataxia ("drunken sailor") which are other common signs of a vestibular disorder? Has Gizmo had a problem with her ears? Is she shaking her head or scratching at her ears? Have you noticed any falling, veering, leaning, rolling, or circling?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No she has not done any of those even as she hasn't been eating she's still maintained her balanced and walks normal and still climbs up her cat house haven't noticed any abnormalities with that. I only mention her ear because i just looked at her and it's the only thing physically i could notice that looked a bit off.

You're quite perceptive; that can be a clue of where to look further such as in her middle/inner ear. For example, an inflammatory polyp in the middle ear can nauseate and induce inappetence. Her diarrhea, however, isn't expected. Unless she remisses unaided by Monday, her vet will want to thoroughly examine Gizmo. Her symptoms are nonspecific and so diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests as well as skull films to better evaluate her middle ear(s) are likely to be recommended.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I appreciate the insight i planned on taking her in Tomorrow if her appetite continues the way it is just wanted to get some more information to see if we could avoid the trip. Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

You're quite welcome. If she can be attended to earlier than Monday even better. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.