Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have 8outdoor cats, all one family, mother ,8 of her

Customer Question

I have 8outdoor cats, all one family, mother ,8 of her kittens and. Dad. They have all been neutered. It's taken me 5 yrs to get them all done. One other cat is a rag doll which I adopted yrs ago.he I very mellow and comes in andout when e wants and gets on with all the others.
In the last few weeks, a large has mov into our. Garden and follow Einstein everywhere. He goes. He even ca e into the house yesterday . I can't touch him as. He hisses like mad.between that and a young raccoon who lyes on my kitchen step 5am onwards until he is fed (. Only cat food!). What can I do about my two unwanted guests
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Hello Marta,

I am sorry to hear you are worried about this raccoon and this black cat. Which cat is Einstein, the ragdoll?

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The raccoon will stay around, as long as there is cat food to eat. Raccoons carry a parasite which can be given to your cats or to you, that can be serious, so I would try to get him to go away. One way would be to stop putting out cat food; if there is no more food he will move on and as long as there is food he will not leave. Another option would be to borrow a live trap from your animal shelter and trap him and take him for a very long car ride. If you only move him a mile or so, he will probably come back.

You can also try to trap the black cat, and take him to your local shelter. If he is too wild to put up for adoption after he is neutered and vaccinated for rabies, the shelter may just release him back into the community but again not too close to where you live or he will come back.

To trap the unwanted guests, you have to put cat food in the trap, so you will have to keep your cats, Einstein and and the other cat family, indoors or in a garage until they are trapped. The only way to trap them is if the only food available is in the trap.

If you continue to feed the outdoor family outside, and put cat food out, you will attract more raccoons and more stray cats. You might want to figure out a way to feed your cats in a way that does not attract other animals. The more stray cats that come around, the more risk of your cats being exposed to feline leukemia and other deadly viruses. They can carry fleas that can make you sick as well as your cats; 67% of cat fleas are positive for things that can make people sick.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I did not hear back from you! I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know if you have any more questions.