Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat who is five years old keeps vomiting she wants to eat

Customer Question

My cat who is five years old keeps vomiting she wants to eat but vomits anything she eats
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cancel my request credit my debit card please
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your girl Macy isn't feeling well and is vomiting every time after eating.

Vomiting can be related to eating something she should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland) internal organ failure, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

If she hasn't eaten normally in several days and she is vomiting what she does eat I am very concerned about her. If she isn't drinking well or able to keep water down either she will quickly become dehydrated, especially because she is vomiting as well.

And as her liver breaks down fats for energy to live she may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis.

Ideally she would see a veterinarian today if this has been going on for more than 48-72 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her.

In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.

If you cannot have her seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.

At home to try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous so that she will eat and hopefully not vomit. They are quite safe and can be used long term if necessary.

You can use a medicine syringe to try and force water into her orally.

A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

If she continues to vomit she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I took her to the vet last week for a checkup and shots he said she was in good health
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Yes, she likely was then. But at that point she wasn't vomiting/dry heaving.

Puppies, like human babies, get sick quickly, as their immune systems are weak and they don't have a full complement of vaccines to protect them. A virus can linger in the body for 7-10 days before symptoms show. So even apparently healthy puppies can get sick soon after a completely normal physical exam.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

My apologies, for some reason a response to another customer with a puppy showed up on your question.

Either way the same is somewhat true for cats in that they can be normal on physical exam but harboring a viral infection that has yet to become apparent or she may have eaten something in the week since that led to her getting sick now.

Was any blood work checked then? If not then she may have some underlying disease processes that have only now become apparent.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****