Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

I have a 10yr old malayan cat who began vomitting bile. He

Customer Question

I have a 10yr old Himalayan cat who began vomitting green bile. He was diagnosed with a suspected bladder infection which is causing a BUN of 106 and Crea of 2.3 on June 11th. He received a sub q fluid treatment and a Cerenia ing for the n/v. I brought him back a day later because I was unable to feed him the oral meds they gave me. He was given a Convenia antibiotic shot on 6/13 along IV fluid therapy. At this point he still isnt' eating or drinking that I can tell. I brought him again on 6/16 they gave him another sub q fluids dose, another n/v shot and a shot of Dex to maybe stimulate his appetite. its now 6/18 and he still hasn't eaten. I've provided multiple food options including several flavors of wet foods, chicken, tuna , sardines and salmon. He doesn't seem to be interested in any of it. As far as i know he hasn't eaten in at least 12days. is the next step NG tube? as my vet doesnt' do them.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sebastian. Yes, a feeding tube is essential while he's further investigated for the etiology of his persistent anorexia. A bladder infection isn't going to cause what appears to be a pre-renal azotemia (uremia caused by a disease process outside of his kidneys which, nevertheless, are suffering from that disease process. I would insist upon a recheck diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests and if it didn't show anything untoward, I would ultrasound Sebastian's abdomen paying particular attention to his urinary tract.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would this be something my current vet should have done by now. they've seen him 3x and have suggested none of what you're saying. Should I take his lab results and consult another vet? I'm of course extremely concerned about my guy.

He's going to need another vet to implant a tube so this is a good opportunity to have a specialist veterinary internist (please see here: attend to Sebastian. Can you upload a copy of Sebastian's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as