Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

I opened my home to three cats not all at the same time. I

Customer Question

I opened my home to three cats not all at the same time . I was told that the owner wasn't able to have the cat where she was moved to, she is elderly needing more assistance. I was told that people would help me find homes for the cats. Nothing and no help- in the next year or two I wil be movig into Senior living also so I really want to get them adopted into good homes not cages. Do you have any ideas. Also one came from a hoarders house and has no eyes. She is 5 years old but isn't any bigger than a 6 month old kitten. She is finally learnig to trust me, but I can't pick her up or get her completely potty trained. Molly will stay with me because I just don't know what would happen to this sweet little cat. I need in put so I can get my head around the problem
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Patricia and thanks so much for your question.

I'm so glad you were able to take these kitties in, but I understand why you now need to re-home them. I'm very happy to hear that Molly will stay with you, because she's used to you and what a poor, sweet little cat! Once she is in a consistent environment, she will learn her way around and hopefully, you will get the potty training under control.

First, I would check out cat rescue organizations in your area, tell them your circumstances (that you're moving to an assisted living facility) and that you need to get these other 2 cats adopted into good homes.

I would not rely on the paper or Craigslist, because you have no idea to whom you would be giving the cats. Potential owners should be screened and Rescue Organizations do that. Also, ask your local Animal Control if they have an arrangement with any rescue organizations or no-kill shelters, that display the kittens in Petco and Petsmart stores for adoption. My daughter recently found herself in a situation where a stray cat was hanging around her house and she was feeding her, she was very friendly (not feral) and someone recommended that she call Animal Control (who we think of as 'the enemy' or 'the pound'), but when she related her story, someone came out right away and within 5 hours, that cat was up on their adoption board. She was promised they do NOT euthanize!

You can also start with relative, friends, neighbors, anyone you know who has experience with cats, doesn't have a cat now, and wants three. I think they should be adopted together, because they know each other and with all the recent moves, will have each other for comfort, as any move is very stressful to most cats. If you can't get anyone to take 3 cats (I thought there were only 3 altogether, at first), which might be difficult, at least try to get someone to take 2 and 1 will be adopted separately.

So, you mentioned the 3 males and Molly is the fourth one?

I'd check out no-kill shelters and make sure they really mean 'no-kill'. Unfortunately, they will need to be in cages most of the time, but hopefully, they will be adopted quickly. Also, many vet's offices have cages in the middle of their waiting rooms, with cats ready for adoption, and people who come in to have their cats seen, may want to adopt another one. This worked for me, many years ago, when I found a stray kitten in my car engine! The cat was adopted right away, because I paid for her to be de-flead and given vaccinations, so all the adoptive owner had to do, was have him fixed at 5 months of age!

So, check out reputable vet offices (feline-only would be most desirable!) and see how they can help. Also, many vet offices have bulletin boards with fliers re: lost cats and cats up for adoption, so you could post there. They are usually patients of that vet, so you would know if they are good adoptive parents.

If you are trying to get this done now, before you are ready to move to your new place or would like to wait until you're closer to moving, these are the ideas I can suggest. I hope they help and wish you much good luck!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.
Hi Patricia Vagt,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Inky, Oliver, Ricki. How is everything going?