Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat was a feral cat but tamed easily. He has lost a lot

Customer Question

My cat was a feral cat but tamed easily. He has lost a lot of weight and I had suplimated with wet food. He is about 9years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Rambler
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rambler?
Customer: He stays indoor and never has gone outside
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Rambler. Is he still eating and drinking well? Do you feel that he's drinking excessively or urinating more than normal? How long has he been tamed?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

There are a few common causes of weight loss in older cats. I've listed them below with links for more detailed information on those specific diseases.

1) Hyperthyroidism
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=516

2) Diabetes
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=631

3) Chronic renal disease (kidney failure)
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=2633&SourceID=

4) Cancer

5) Intestinal parasites

6) FELV/ FIV - both viral infections.

The first three diseases and the last one, I've listed can best be screened for by having your vet perform blood work and a urinalysis on your kitty. The fourth disease, cancer, can sometimes be suspected on a physical exam if a mass is palpated. Other tests to help screen for cancer include blood work and imaging studies such as radiographs and ultrasound. However, an aspirate or biopsy of suspect tissue is required for a definitive diagnosis. Intestinal parasites can be screened for by having a fecal sample examined by your veterinarian. The first step in getting a proper diagnosis for rambler would be to have your vet do an exam on him and perform at least some blood work. As far as what you can do at home, that is limited to just trying to increase his calorie intake, but most likely that isn't addressing the primary problem.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?