Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My cat is hacking occasionally like twice a day. She is

Customer Question

my cat is hacking occasionally like twice a day. She is eating and drinking fine and still is active.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: Sometimes she hacks after she is done licking herself but nothing comes up
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: emmy and she is 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emmy?
Customer: no she has no health problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 5 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Does your cat go outside? Is it a long hair or short hair cat? Is the hacking more like a cough, or more like trying to vomit?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My cat is strictly indoors. She is a short hair cat. and I would say its more like a cough
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also have two other cats and neither of them have been hacking and she has been doing this for about two weeks

Great. Eating well, defecating well?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she is eating and drinking and going to the bathroom

Okay. This could be an upper respiratory infection, or could be a sign of developing asthma, or possibly of heartworm disease. I recommend seeing a vet for an exam, and they can help determine the cause. There is really nothing you can try at home, unfortunately. Asthma (which usually presents as coughing) and upper respiratory infections are very treatable.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.