Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I am getting a new kitten in August Ragdoll. I would like to

Customer Question

I am getting a new kitten in August Ragdoll .
I would like to know about trick training and how old should the kitten!
Thank You
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am glad to hear you are excited about getting a new kitten! My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I think the best age to get a new kitten is 8 to 10 weeks, 7 weeks is the youngest I think they should leave the mother. You can start trick training early, as young as 7 weeks.

I start with them learning their name and coming when called. Then I do sit, jump over a stick, they can learn many tricks. Training a cat or kitten takes a little practice, patience, and delicious treats. You can do training often, but not for too long, maybe 10 minutes at a time.

Here is a website that describes the basics:

If you have never done animal training, you might try working with someone until you get the basics of training down about when to reward, how to clicker train, etc. Your veterinarian would be a good source of information about who in your area can help.

One very important thing is to train a kitten to like being in a cat carrier. Then when you have to go to the vet, or get off the house in an emergency, you don't have to fight to get the cat into the carrier. Get a carrier, make it comfy with a towel or bed, open it up, put it on an elevated spot with some food inside, and leave it there. The kitten will be in and out of the carrier all the time, and may even want to sleep there.

Come, and being willing to be put into a carrier can be life saving tricks, so start there.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I did not hear back from you! I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know if you have any more questions.