Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My friends cat is 8yrs of age over the last two yrs she lost

Customer Question

my friends cat is 8yrs of age over the last two yrs she lost her sight and is now deaf the vet has been treating her for several yrs the cat recently had a stroke from what the vet diagnosed. The cat continues to go in circles lost...but this is something the vet felt was caused by the stroke...she was given two shots on for the stroke the other for respitory problems the cat is still lost and is having breathing problems. My friend continues to panic and I really don't think much more can be done for the cat. I feel my friend should just let her be and stop hoping for miracles. If the cat's nose is blocked is there anything he can do to soothe the cat? The cat and buddy live in the UK and I am from the Usa...I am useless in doing anything to help either one of them. Any advice would be helpful.. PS the cat takes blood pressure medicine which i think how all of this started
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

First, I am very sorry to hear about your friend's cat.

Based on what you have told me, a "stroke" (which is a vascular event we can see secondary to high blood pressure) is a possible cause for her signs. Though I do have to note that we can see circling, mental depression, and even sight loss related to other brain based issues. Specifically, we can see it with soft tissue swelling, but also cysts and tumors. So, if this wee one has been treated and isn't showing improvement within a weak or so of treatment, we'd be concerned that the latter may be present and the cat's prognosis is guarded. It may help for the local vet to keep this kitty on steroids to reduce any inflammation present.

Otherwise, if your friend wants to know what is specifically putting pressure on the brain to cause these signs, then an MRI would allow them to do so and possibly open other avenues of treatment (ie surgery).

Finally in regards ***** ***** nasal congestion, since your friend here is in the UK, you may wish to suggest they speak to their vet about dispensing Bisolvin. This is a cat safe decongestant that we have available and can be of benefit. Otherwise, they can steam treat her (using a humidifier/nebulizer or even shower steam) and non-medicated saline nasal drops (2-3 drops per nostril) to help clear the nose and help with her breathing.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )