Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM -13 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.

My cat threw up and I noticed a worm that was and also a

Customer Question

My cat threw up and I noticed a long worm that was white and also a reddish brown. Is this heart worms?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Just to clarify - Did Little Tom throw up two different worms or just one that was white and reddish brown?

Was the white worm flat or round?

Does he go outside?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Only one worm no he never goes out he sits on the back porch that is enclosed
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure if it was round or flat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was very thin more the way small worms look that is found outside
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I sent a pic
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am currently typing your answer - should be available in the next 2-3 minutes

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 months ago.

Heartworms are usually round and white in color and when present, live in the heart and blood vessels that attach to the lungs. Because of this, vomiting up a heartworm is not usually possible. Other worms that could be vomited up are roundworms and stomach worms. These are usually white though some can have a slight brown color. Roundworms are usually quite long.

Based on the picture - this looks like a tapeworm based on the segmented body that it has. Tapeworms come from ingesting rodents or from ingesting fleas on the fur. I would definitely check him to make sure that he does not have any fleas. If he does then using a monthly preventive such as Frontline Plus or Revolution is recommended. I would also recommend treating him with a dewormer then contains Praziquantel. This is usually available from your vet though let me check to see if it can be purchased over the counter.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 months ago.

Here is an example of a dewormer that can be purchased for the tapeworms.

Hope this helps - please feel free to reply if you have any questions - Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you hope my other cats can't get it
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 months ago.

Tapeworms are not contagious to other cats directly. If one of the other cats ingests a flea or unfortunately a rodent then they could get tapeworms also. Might not be a bad idea to treat all of your cats though just to be sure.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome!