Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I believe my cat ate a pendant from a necklace : Gotham and

Customer Question

I believe my cat ate a pendant from a necklace
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Gotham and he is almost 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gorham?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Can you please describe the pendant and its size for me, please? What materials was it made of?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its a heart shaped pendant about the size of a quarter maybe a little smaller. It is made out silver or white gold

Thank you. The metal is inert and not a concern. The shape and size of the pendant could potentially obstruct Gotham's small intestine. How long ago do you think he ingested it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sometime during the night. When I woke up this morning I found the chain chewed in half on the bathroom floor

Ah! I would have Gotham's vet snap a couple of X-rays to see if that pendant really was ingested or not and, if so, where it was in Gotham. We can retrieve such objects from the stomach by means of a scope and snare. If the pendant had already moved into the small intestine we can see if it's moving through the intestine safely with sequential X-rays. If not, we have to remove it surgically.

You have the option of simply "watchful waiting" and looking for the tell-tale signs of obstruction - persistent vomiting and/or anorexia. That's a bit nerve wracking, of course, because if those symptoms did arise, Gotham would need surgical intervention promptly. Please continue our conversation if you wish.