Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Past 9 months to a year, my cat has been afraid to eat. It

Customer Question

For the past 9 months to a year, my cat has been afraid to eat. It seems to have started when he choked once or at least I think he was choking because he made on awful growling shrieking sound and stopped eating. Since then, he pulls his dry food kernals out of his bowl and eats them one by one off the floor. He loves canned food and gets very excited when I am cooking with meat but often if I give him a piece of cooked chicken or beef he will just sniff it and then run under the table and never eat it. He does the same thing with his canned food. One thing he will eat without making the awful noise and running away is raw eggs. Sometimes he will eat his canned food mixed with a raw egg. I am very concerned and am wondering if he might have a tumor in his throat or something. Have you ever come across this behavior?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about this behavior of Dexter's. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is he losing weight at all, or is he eating enough to maintain a healthy weight?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

So, up until he was about 8 years old, he ate both canned and dry food out of a dish? I have seen this kind of behavior in cats, only pulling food out of the bowl to eat.

It could be that something hurts or is irritating when he eats or swallows. A tumor in his throat or the back of his mouth or under his tongue is one possibility. A loose or infected tooth would be another thing I would check for.

Does he ever vomit?

If he were my own cat, I would begin with a good exam of his mouth, which can be difficult. Many cats won't let you look under the tongue, or down the throat, if they are awake so sometimes we have to sedate them to get a really good look.

Since he will eat pieces of dry food from the flood, we know he can swallow so that is good. Dry food has plenty of nutrition and calories, so if he is eating enough food from the floor he can get all the nutrition, calories, and nutrients he needs. However, I would want to get a good look into his mouth and throat, as long as this has been going on.

Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent. Please let me know how she is doing, and if this is helpful, and any other questions I can answer.