Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My wife started feeding a stray cat at our back door and the

Customer Question

My wife started feeding a stray cat at our back door and the cat shows up regularly now for food. He even will come in the house and sit on my lap for a short time. My wife has passed and asked me to continue to care for the cat. I intend to honor the memory of my wife by respecting her request. The problem is I will be relocating in the next couple of months and worry about how to relocate the cat as the cat is an outdoor cat. Trapping the cat is no problem with a safe and sane trap, but how do I teach the cat where his new home is?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

To be completely honest with you, that is your cat. You feed him, you let him in the house and you care for him- he's just a mostly outdoor cat.

I would keep the cat indoors for the first week or two initially. You can then let him out when supervised. Over a few months, you can start letting him out more and more. He'll know where the food is and he'll come back.

Let me know if you have any other questions.