Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists

My cat has lately been losing a ton of weight, and rapidly

Customer Question

My cat has lately been losing a ton of weight, and rapidly for that matter. Lots of vomiting. Lots of diarrhea. Bot acting himself in the least. Extremely lethargic, and will just flop down like he's constantly exhausted.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 4 months ago.

What breed of cat is he? Is he an indoor/outdoor cat? Is he current on vaccines and has he been thoroughly dewormed? Was he tested foe leukemia and FIV as a youngster? Any other cats or dogs in house acting sick? When he flops down and acts exhausted, is he breathing heavily? And chance of toxin exposure? Has he ever be ill before? - Dr. C

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Going to be embarrassingly honest here...We were told he was a maine coon when bought him as a kitten, we clearly were duped. So he's a dark colored short haired cat, that's all we know. He is an indoor/outdoor cat. Spends winters 99% indoors, and summers probably 75% outdoors. He is no longer current on any vaccs, and has not been dewormed this year either. As far as testing for those things as a youngster, he was declawed, and the vet required he be current on absolutely everything BEFORE they'd do it. So if that's a required/standard test, yes. If not, I'm not sure honestly. Haven't noticed heavy breathing yet, but he ALWAYS loves on me, and perks up to the sound of my voice, and comes when I say his name...he literally won't even lift his head up right now. Normal things that would get his attention aren't doing a thing for him. Example: someone walking in the front door, doesn't care at all, or even look. We only have a dog other than the cat, she's the same age. Pembroke Corgi, and she seems 100% normal. He had diarrhea and vomiting really bad over the winter, and lost a bunch of weight. We put him on a "sensitive stomach" food, and he very quickly put all the weight back on, and had no problems for 4-5 months. Which puts us at today.

That sounds very alarming. If he has any maine coon in him, I'd be really worried about heart disease as the cause of his lethargy and exercise intolerance. Heart disease can also cause GI symptoms and weight loss. With him being indoor/outdoor and not recently dewormed, he could also have a high intestinal parasite burden and that could cause weakness, vomiting and diarrhea as well as weight loss. I'd definitely recommend having him evaluated by an ER vet tonight if that is a possibility. Otherwise, he should be checked by your family vet first thing in the morning. Hope that is helpful, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns - Dr. C

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I just went and looked over him, and my wife and I both agree he is breathing heavier than normal. Although this time when I walked up to him, he saw me and started purring really loud. He hasn't done that at all, in a while. He's a big eater too, and he won't even look at the food we gave him. Or the water. Or the catnip toy (which he loves) he just lays there, with his head down on the ground too. As soon as he lays down, he puts his head down, which would normally take several minutes.

I'm so sorry that he is so sick. The purring is also a cause for concern, as many times sick cats purr to try to comfort themselves. I hope you are able to find an emergency vet to help your kitty out tonight - Dr. C

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?