Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

She hasn't been eating n drinking or using the bathroom she

Customer Question

She hasn't been eating n drinking or using the bathroom she drank a Lil chicken broth today but we dnt knw wats wrong
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Abby n bout 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abby N?
Customer: No I mean it just happend out of nowhere she lost weight but before tht she would play with our younger cat n be perfectly fine right now all she does is sleep
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Abby's lack of appetite and thirst.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• Is there any vomiting?
  • Is she a strictly indoor cat?
  • How long has it been since she ate normally?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She dry heeved the first day this all started and after tht nothing she's been losing weight and hasn't used the bathroom yesterday or drank water or ate today she had a small amount of wet food like a tea spoon n dome water but she just stays in our oomph n dleeps
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.

I'm so sorry to hear she's so sick. I know that's terribly worrisome.

I'm especially worried because there are actually a lot of different things that cause symptoms like this in a cat her age, and most of them are very serious. The list includes things like:

• Kidney failure
  • Bowel obstruction
  • Pancreatitis
  • GI lymphoma (a type of cancer)
  • and many other diseases.

So, yes... you are correct to be worried about her and looking for the information you need to help her. What is your question for me tonight?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there somthing we can do to see if it's just a hairball possibly stuck like home remedies?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.

Sure, I'll do my best to help you with that. There are some excellent websites that describe step-by-step how to care for a vomiting pet at home.

If it's hairballs, it'll get better with twice daily administration of a hairball remedy like Laxatone.

Unfortunately, though... I think the chances of this being hairballs is very, very small. This doesn't sound like hairballs at all.

I'll get that link for the article on home care for a vomiting cat. One moment...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.

As you will see after reading the instructions for home care for a vomiting cat, I'm afraid home remedies are not in Abby's best interests. It sounds to me as if she is too sick for that and would benefit from being seen by a vet sooner rather than later. As I said above, the most common things to cause these symptoms in a cat her age are very serious and require aggressive medical therapy in order to gain a cure, if a cure is even possible.

I'm really sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight. It's terrible to be in such a bad situation.