Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Both of my cats caught a cold around nine days ago. The

Customer Question

Both of my cats caught a cold around nine days ago. The older cat (11 years) now seems to have recovered except for still being a bit picky in her eating, she has resumed her normal activities and interests. My younger cat (6 years) though seems to be taking longer to bounce back. She eats and drinks a bit and uses the litter box but now she doesn't seem to want to be held, growls if I approach her and seems to not want to move much at all. Her temperature seems normal and she has only had a bit of discharge from her eyes and nose during the cold and has only sneezed/snuffled a bit.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cats. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How were the colds treated: antiviral medications, antibiotics, fever medication? Or let nature take its course?

If this was a viral infection like a cold, it can take 10 to 14 days to get well, so maybe they just need a little more time. For the one that is growling, I would take her temperature and see if it is normal (101 to 102), and if it is still high (over 103) an anti inflammatory/ fever reducing medication might help. If she is still sneezing at all, you could try children's nose drops, 1 drop once to twice daily, such as Little Noses.

If you look at her gums are they pink in color, or pale?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

L Lysine, an amino acid, might help if this is a Herpes viral infection.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How are your cats doing? Can I help with or answer anything else? I hope you were able to see what I wrote.