Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She started off with diarrhea and vomiting a lot, but now

Customer Question

She started off with diarrhea and vomiting a lot, but now she will not eat or drink.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Unfortunately, there were lots of messes. Not that we know of. She is an indoor and outdoor cat. She loves to be outside in the summer.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: In fact she still wants outside.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Emmy, 12 years old.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Emmy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Will she drink at all?

What did her vomit and diarrhea look like?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It started on Saturday morning (June 1th)
-No...she will not drink. I have been getting a small syringe and trying to get some water in her
-I am not sure if she has gone poop in a while, but it did not appear to be bloody, just brown liquid. Her vomit is brown and slimy. I also cleaned up a couple spots of yellow stuff. I thought it was urine, but it was kind of slimy and did not smell like cat pee.
-they look kind of dark (not sure if it is her pigmentation) with some pinkish areas. They are kind of sticky
-She seems to not like being touched in her abdomen area
-She is outside a lot, so she could have. However, she is an older cat and has always been outside a lot (except in the winter).
-My wife took her to the Vet on Saturday. They gave her fluids (which caused a large bump on her leg for a while) and treated her for worms with some topical medicine behind her head. Even with the vomiting and diarrhea on Saturday, she was still drinking and would eat some canned chicken. Now she turns away from all of her favorite things (chicken, tuna, and yogurt).
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

At Emmy’s age, we do need to tread with care. Vomiting and diarrhea together can quickly dehydrate our cats and anorexia can lead to secondary liver complications. Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). As well, at her age, we’d also have to be wary of GI signs secondary to organ dysfunction (ie kidney, liver), metabolic issues, and even cancer.

With this all in mind, I am surprised to hear that her vet didn't treat her with anything for her nausea. Especially as it will be the trigger for her vomiting before and her anorexia now. Therefore, I have to say that it'd be ideal to ring them about dispensing anti-nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant. Otherwise at the very least we'd want to consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Or if she refuses but isn't vomiting now, we can syringe feed. To syringe feed, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in. As well, you can give fluids as you have been but be aware that she needs 48ml per kilogram of her weight every 24 hours. This can be divided into multiple offerings over the day, though any more vomiting and we'd have to discontinue this as a treatment.

Finally, since you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to revisit her vet They can reassess her, check bloods for organ issues +/- an ultrasound if they do suspect another underlying issue. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, appetite stimulants, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle this and get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry...they did give her treat her for nausea when my wife took her. They also did blood work (sorry, I did not mention this earlier). They said her blood work came back remarkably good for her age and only had a low white blood count.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I am glad to hear that the did check her bloods and were able to remove organ issues from our concerns here. Did they give anti-nausea treatment by injection only? Or is she on something at home just now (since the injections only last 24 hours at most)?

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.