Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have a rescue kitten who is eating formula with gusto,

Customer Question

we have a rescue kitten who is eating formula with gusto, but has really loose stool to almost watery sometimes. its very difficult to keep him clean as he has no control over his bm. when we got him his rear was raw, anus and undertail. which makes me worry cleaning him. I have been using unscented baby wipes or boogie wipes ( super soft saline wipes) when I first got him I gave him a bath in diluted dawn and warm water which he seemed to enjoy but by the next feeding you couldnt tell he had had a bath.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: he has good energy and is exploring when out ( in an empty kiddy pool because of his mess) he mimics cleaning when I wipe him, and plays when I pet him. he is about 5 weeks old as far as we have been told. his eyes are clear and turning from gunmetal blue to brown, and he tracks me arround the room while I am fixing his bottle.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for taking care of this little one! It sounds like he's very lucky to have found you. Lose stools like this can be dietary related. Sometimes the formula that is being fed can cause lose stools. If he's around 5 weeks old, then getting him weaned to eating kitten food may help a lot with this. Making a gruel of the kitten food can be done and then letting him walk in it to get it everywhere and then he can lick it off and figure out that it is good tasting food. The transition to the kitten food may help to get more fiber and such into the diet to help with this. Ideally a stool sample should be checked by a vet to see if there are intestinal parasites / coccidia / giardia at hand that need specifically treated. As far as keeping the rear end clean, it needs to be done to prevent it from being constantly moist as this can set up dermatitis issues.