Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

I own a cat that continually has a watery left eye.....and

Customer Question

I own a cat that continually has a watery left eye.....and it has been that way, on and off for over 7 years, that I know of.....Now, within the last few days, her right eye is also watering and she is also squinting with the right eye and it also looks like she is losing some fur around her right eye......could you please tell me what you think it could be....
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with Abbey. Cats with symptoms like Abbey often can have chronic viral infections which can cause mild symptoms for years. Occasionally, a few other things can develop. Some cats can get ulcerations on their cornea as a result of the virus, which can be painful. Other cats will get secondary bacterial infections that can make the eye look worse.

If she is losing fur, that may mean she is scratching her eye, which will only make the problem worse in most cases. I recommend a visit to your vet to get Abby's eye checked for infection and the ensure she does not have a scratched or ulcerated cornea, which can be very painful.

Please take a moment to provide a positive rating if the info provided was helpful.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV