Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

10 week old kitten has very watery eyes & greenish/yellowish

Customer Question

10 week old kitten has very watery eyes & greenish/yellowish gunk in corner of one =( She was treated for a URI on coming home from shelter. Finished 10 days of doxy something but she is still sneezing once in a while. Eyes are very watery!!!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Betsey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Betsey?
Customer: Thankyou
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Your kitten was exposed to quite a few infectious agents in the shelter. The most common is the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) and because it's a virus it doesn't respond to antibiotics. It's expected to remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks, however. There are two common bacterial infections to consider as well due to Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila bacteria. Both respond to doxycycline but that antibiotic might need to be administered for up to 4 weeks to rid Betsey of these bacteria. Thankfully, her immune system can rid herself of those bacteria too but continuing the doxycycline for at least another week should be helpful. The shelter vet should be consulted about prescribing more of this antibiotic. It sounds as if her eyes need some help at this time and for them an over the counter ophthalmic antibiotic ointment called Terramycin should be helpful. Terramycin can be found in many pet/feed stores and online such as here: 1/4" of ointment should be instilled in each eye thrice daily for a minimum of 10 days.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.