Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I rescued a four week old kitten and i love m. now he is

Customer Question

i rescued a four week old kitten and i love him. now he is nine months old and giving me a run for my monry. He hangs from my door trim, jumps at my french doors, scratches walls, furniture etc. But the worst is up all night. I feed one of the best foods, he has three scratching posts a million toys. I have had dogs and cats all of my life but he is tuff. Gail
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this problem. There are several things that you can do to help yourself with this problem but it will take some effort. First, you should get another kitten. Preferably a male and he needs to be young like no older that about 20 weeks and ideally around 10-12 weeks old. Don't forget to take him to the vet to make sure he is clear of all diseases before exposing him to your current kitty. This is very important. Cats need a companion especially when they are young. This helps them learn appropriate play instead of inappropriate.

Second, stop all scolding as this does no good.Do not allow your son to hold the cat down, this works with dogs and only makes cats more aggressive.

Third get feliway diffusers for your home environment. You can purchase them online and plug into your walls in the areas of your home where he is spending the most time. This is a pheromone that will help with calming your kitty and will make him more happy. These are also called comfort zone diffusers.

Fourth go to the website the indoor pet initiative: https://indoorpet.osu.edu/cats This will help you learn more baout cats and their basic indoor needs. Most Cat owners even those that have had multiple cats really do most things wrong with cats. This website is free and the above link is a direct link that you can go to and read everything you need to know about how to best keep your cat healthy and happy. And those two go hand in hand with cats.

Fifth: it is fine to lock him in a room at night but he has to have a litter pan in there and water and food and it needs to be like his room. It also needs a diffuser as mentioned above and he needs a friend.

If you do all that I have mentioned then I think you will have a new cats in a few months. If this does not work then your vet may need to add a little prozac but if you do all of the above including what is on website that I have given you you should have a better behaved cat.

Best of luck. And let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you very much!

Please note that the information I provide is intended as general information only and not intended to replace the advice of your veterinary professional.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you for your help. Winstons room is the cat room and I will try everything else. But I do not see an other kitten for me you were very helpfull Gal
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome. Another kitten would cause Winston to put his focus on the kitten and would give him someone to get his energy out with. Let me know if you need any other help. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

I would greatly appreciate a rating. Thank you very much. DRB