Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My female 14 year old calico indoor cat has recently, within

Customer Question

My female 14 year old calico indoor cat has recently, within maybe 2 months, is excessively grooming herself where we find little clumps of hair around the house. The best scenario I can use to describe this condition is when my wife and I get up in the morning it looks like the cat has exploded...We took her to our regular vet whom we've used for years and he found no issue with the cat (no fleas). He suggested the cat may be stressed..We do have my daughter visit with her 2 year old cat and they were separated at first but now they interact pretty successfully ,or rather peacefully with few incidents. Can you offer any suggestions as to why she is doing this? She is eating normally, playing normally and gives no indication of something serious. She has hypo-thyroidism for which she takes medication and her number has com down. My vet discounted that would have any bearing on this condition. However she has lost wait and he advised we try to increase her food intake..
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you seeing Angel groom excessively?

Any bald areas or changes to the skin (ie pimples, pustules, scabs, sores, ulcers, redness, dander, or crusting)? Where?

When did you last treat for fleas? What did you use?

Any diet change in the 4-6 weeks before this started?

Is her hyperthyroidism (since hypo tends to only be in dogs) stable or is it still in an abnormal range despite being better?