Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My female cat disappeared days and has now returned very

Customer Question

My female cat disappeared for 4 days and has now returned very lethargic and not interested in eating or drinking
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Poopster. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. I bet you are extremely happy that Poopster returned home, however these symptoms are certainly very worrying and we need to consider everything from a hit by car injury, to a toxicity or even an infectious or parasitic cause for your girl's lethargy and inappetance since she has been back. It doesn't sound like you have found any obvious wounds on your girl, but even for issues like being hit by a car, often the only injuries are internal ones that can't be seen. Because she doesn't seem to want to eat or drink at all, I would definitely encourage you to get her seen by your local vet first thing tomorrow morning if you can. Continue to offer her fresh water now, and if you think making up a fresh chicken broth may help to tempt her, try that now as well.

The key right now is ascertaining whether she needs immediate veterinary treatment or not. If she is particularly lethargic, or if she seems distressed at all, then you really should get her along to your local ER vet straight away if you can. Otherwise for now, please keep an eye on your girl's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your girl, and if she seems ok tonight, definitely get her seen by your local vet first thing tomorrow. Here a full physical exam, blood test and survey xrays will be able to pinpoint any underlying issues with your girl. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.