Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

My cat has an itchy spot above her left eye, that she itches

Customer Question

My cat has an itchy spot above her left eye, that she itches until it bleeds, the hair is coming off. And now she has it on her neck also! What could it be
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

There are several possible problems but one that is most likely. The less likely though possible problems are an allergic response, mites, fleas or ringworm. However, the most likely is a condition called miliary dermatitis, this is very similar to eczema in humans. Essentially it is an immune system attack on her skin. What you should do until Mon., is apply human cortisone cream to the area 2x daily. It is ok if she licks it off and swallows it. On Monday have the vet check this area for any of the previous possibilities as well as any infection. If I am correct about this, then there are simple cheap treatments to manage her itchy skin and make her feel much more comfortable. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 months ago.
Hi Sandra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan