Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

He has fever and is refusing to drink or eat. He got fluids

Customer Question

He has fever and is refusing to drink or eat. He got fluids from the vet yesterday afternoon, but they closed today and tomorrow. He is on antibiotics for the fever, and I am giving him water with a syringe. How much water does he need from me until I can get him back to the vet on Monday morning? Thanks.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Smooch. 4-5 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Smooch?
Customer: No. Our vet did blood work on Friday and the results he had received yesterday afternoon showed that his kidney and liver functions were fine and his white blood count was good. His fever had dropped by a degree since his Friday morning injection of antibiotics but it was 103.5 at that point.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Smooch's daily fluid requirement approximates 30 mL (one fluid ounce)/pound of body weight daily. This is nigh impossible to administer orally but every little bit helps. A pediatric fluid and electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte is a better choice than water. I'd be please to review Smooch's test results if you can you upload a copy of them to our conversation. I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have a copy of the report as he was waiting for final results. If I were to send the report on Monday would that involve additional charges? If a response to this interaction entails additional charges, please do not respond.

No, we can converse indefinitely without your incurring additional charges. For more information please contact***@******.***/