Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

Why doesn't my cat want to eat...I had her at the Vet

Customer Question

Why doesn't my cat want to eat...I had her at the Vet yesterday, they did blood work, all came back okay, her health on a scale of 1 to 5 was a #3 (shes 13 years old) and they could not find anything that would cause. She was a little dehydrated, which they gave me medicine for and she will take let me give it to. Very listless and follows me everywhere more than usual, other wise she spends her time sleeping, very shallow breathing.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Karen, anorexia is such a nonspecific symptom that I need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and then go from there. Can you upload a copy of Sassy's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as

If nothing untoward is found in my patient's exam and testing I proceed to image them - X-rays of their chest and ultrasound of their abdomen. These are areas poorly reflected in blood and urine tests. Ultrasound is particularly sensitive for finding primary gastrointestinal disorders. X-rays of her chest should be considered because you've noted very shallow breathing. That can indicate primary cardiopulmonary disorders as well as a thoracic effusion (fluid in the chest cavity) which is preventing Sassy's lungs from expanding fully.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sassy. How is everything going?