Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cat has bad skin allergy and is getting steroid shots I

Customer Question

My cat has bad skin allergy and is getting steroid shots I have heard that I could give him a small dose of claritin and it would help so that we can get away from the steroids
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, some antihistamines can be of benefit in reducing allergic skin disease and its associated signs in cats. That said, Claritin isn't advisable for your lad. Instead, cat safe options include Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ at a dose of 0.25mg per pound of a cat's body weight every 8-12 hours. Or you can use Cetirizine once daily at a dose of 5mg. Both are very good for mild allergies and may just reduce his skin issues enough to reduce or even stop his need for steroids. Finally, if his signs are too severe for antihistamines and you are keen to get away from steroids, do also speak to his vet about Atopica. This is an immune modulating drug that can be of great benefit in managing these conditions without steroids.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.