Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

She is peeing outside her litter box. Articles tell me it

Customer Question

She is peeing outside her litter box. Articles tell me it could be a UTI. Can she take clindamycin for that infection? And, how do you give it to cats if it is a liquid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Asia. 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Asia?
Customer: No. She looks healthy. Is fixed and declawed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 6 months ago.

Hi there I am Dr. Kane and will try to assist you with Asia tonight. I am sorry to hear she is having this issue with inappropriate urination. Urinating outside the box can be due to any number of things. Surprisingly, what we have found is that MOST of the time it is NOT due to an infection. Most of the time, it is something called idiopathic cystitis, which in layman's terms means inflammation of the bladder of unknown cause. Some measures that can be taken are to offer multiple litterboxes throughout the home (at least 1 per cat, PLUS 1), keeping the box clean daily, and using a product called Feliway to help decrease stress you cat may be experiencing.

It is possible that Asia may have an infection- but I would recommend having her examined and urine specimen tested before starting the antibiotic. Other possibilities for going out of the box are urine stones, kidney disease, diabetes. Her veterinarian will help determine a diagnostic and appropriate treatment plan. Has this helped?

Do you have any other concerns to address tonight? If not, please provide me with a rating. I hope Asia's problem is resolved soon!

Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Please don't forget to provide a rating!