Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat vomits everyday and I am worrying that he is starting

Customer Question

My cat vomits everyday and I am worrying that he is starting to starve to death. He has been to our vet for xrays two times and there is no blockage. We only feed him dry food. I am starting to think he had some kind of surgery gone wrong. We adopted him from a shelter in March,
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. How old is he? Did your vet do any blood work? Did they start any treatment for this? What was their next step?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think there was blood work. Possibly because we checked for feline leukemia. The cat is two years old and is so small it looks like a kitten. The only thing we did was give him so anti vomit med at the first appointment never again. Are you charging me again?

How long ago did the vomiting start? How long ago was the last appointment where they took x-rays?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vomiting started almost from the time we adopted him which was in March. We saw the vet about a week later. I talked with agency we adopted him from and they told me that he didn't have any problems at the shelter.

Ok. So he's been vomiting once a day or so for almost 2 months? Do you feel that he's still bright and alert and active? Do you feel that he's losing weight? Have you tried any diet changes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What I am trying to figure out is if there is something other than a blockage that would make him do this. I don't want to take him to my vet again only to have a very expensive set of xrays done again only to be told there is no blockage.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is bright and alert. He sleeps a lot but don't all cats. He drinks lots of water does not seem to have a problem with urinating or bowel movements.

That is good that he's bright and alert. As far as sleeping a lot, that is definitely the challenge with cats as that can be the normal M.O. for a lot of them! Could there be a blockage? While it isn't impossible, it seems unlikely as blockages usually have things get a lot worse in a shorter time frame than this. Could there be a stricture? That can't be ruled out. X-rays honestly can miss blockages. To further pursue a blockage, a barium series may be considered as that is where dye is swallowed and then monitored as its passage is done. Could this be due to intestinal parasites? A stool sample may be ran to screen for that. Could it be a dietary thing. Honestly, this is something that is possible and it can be screened for by changing his diet to something like a Science Diet i/d formula - one that is for sensitive stomachs. A food trial is basically the only way to screen for a dietary issue.