Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Dear Doctor, We have an outdoor female rabbit 5years old her

Customer Question

Dear Doctor, We have an outdoor female rabbit 5years old her companions have passed away. My questions:1# ***** she be lonely. 2# ***** would be a good companion for her. 3#how do i get her to bond with a new friend (i was considering another Bunny around her age eg adopting a bunny that needs a new home) Many thanks Deborah
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello Deborah,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with rabbits and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Deborah,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If Bobbi has been used to having other rabbits about then it is very possible that she would like the company of a new companion.

Adopting a rabbit that really needs a nice new home is an excellent idea.

2. However you never can tell how rabbits will get on sometimes they are best of friends but just now and again you do find two who do not get on. Much depends on the introduction as rabbits can be territorial, if you just immediately put them together then problems might ensue. The best plan is to initially put the new rabbit in wire cage so that Bobbi can sniff her and get used to her presence without being territorially threatened. After a week or so then gradually let them mix and see what happens.

3. I am assuming your new rabbit will be a her but also consider a neutered male. Female rabbits sometimes interact better with neutered males than other females.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Deborah,

I am just checking back in to make sure you got my answer concerning your rabbit and to check if you needed any further advice ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you Dr Nimmo, Now I will look for another Rabbit.; Deborah *

Hello Deborah,

This is certainly well worth a try.

Please let me know how it goes ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Deborah,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you regarding your rabbit and remain at your disposal for further advice, however I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Deborah,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bobbi. How is everything going?