Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog had surgery last Thursday to remove a hepatocellular

Customer Question

My dog had surgery last Thursday to remove a hepatocellular carcinoma.. She has been coming along great and tonight I took her out back to use the bathroom and she was on her tie out and out of nowhere comes a cat... She flew at the cat and yanked on the tie out as hard as she could until I was able to get to her... Her sutures look fine, nothing broke open but I'm am panicking that it did something to her liver?! Or insides or something?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dogs and chasing small animals...can't be helped. At least she's feeling great after her surgery!

The good news is it has been about a week, and the liver is going to heal fairly rapidly. I think if her external sutures/stitches look great and she is acting completely normal, then probably no worries. You should watch her closely for a few hours. What to watch for that would indicate an internal problem would be if her abdomen/stomach becomes painful when you touch, seems bloated OR her gums change to become pale/white (indicates internal bleeding). If she seems very perky, eating well and not painful, then she is doing great. If you do become concerned you are seeing any of these symptoms, then have her seen on emergency tonight (I do not think you are going to need this, though).

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.