Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Why does my cant who is an inside/outside can poop outside s

Customer Question

why does my cant who is an inside/outside can poop outside his litter box, all of a sudden?
It started few weeks ago. Also he keeps crying at night and nobody knows what he wants. Other than that he eats ok and he looks healthy. He plays with us as usual.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ronald Reupert replied 6 months ago.

Hi...this is Dr Reupert. Usually a cat that stops using his litter box or goes along or outside of it is experiencing some kind of discomfort either associated with urinating or defecating . he may be developing a litter box avoidance

The usual treatment is to offer a new litter box in addition to his old one , change the litter type from the old type - a new type . you may want to switch to clumping litter if you weren't using that before . switching box types is good If you have noticed hard bms, a laxative like metamucil 1 tsp twice a day added to some canned food could help. If he has soft or runny bms he may need to see a vet to be treated for colitis.