Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

6mth old cat has been out in garden hour to an hour and has

Customer Question

6mth old cat has been out in garden for half hour to an hour and has come in with his one paw double the size
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Oh dear, I am afraid our little lad has been getting up to mischief outside.

The most common reason for a suddenly fat paw this time of year while a kitten is outside will be from trying to play with stinging insects like bees and wasps. So, in this case, we'd want to look for and remove any stingers you may see. Afterwards you can soak the foot in cool water or cool compress it to help reduce swelling. Then, you will want to start your lad on a low dose of an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton/Chlorphenamine ( 2-4mg every 8-12 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic reaction. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. We will usually use this for a few days to reduce the swelling; though if you find his reaction is very severe or doesn't respond to the above we'd want a check with his vet to make sure it wasn't a brewing abscess he didn't tell you about (though those tend to take days to appear) and have them give a strong long acting steroid to reduce the allergic reaction completely if need be.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.