Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

12 week old kitten had spay stitches split. Was brought in

Customer Question

12 week old kitten had spay stitches split. Was brought in for repair and kept overnight. That was 10 days ago. Came home coughing and sneezing. No discharges. No herpes history on p c r of parents or other siblings over the years. On clavamox ten days. Today staples out. Healed well. Leaves for new home tomorrow with*****and going to home with cat with history of ur coughing and sneezing past. history . What's the least risk. Getting her 12 week booster today, last one was 5/20 or letting her leave and when she is completely symptom and then get a booster. But stress of transition may make things worse too. Now occasional sneezing. None when calm. Sneezed when put in carrier to go to vet to have stitches out. No wheezing sounds that I heard 10 days ago. Vet that removed stitches recommended giving her her vaccine. Modified live injection.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I don't vaccinate patients until I'm convinced that they're as well as they can be, Kathryn. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) found such a kitten in the great majority of cases and she's expected to remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks. She'll now be a carrier of the virus indefinitely. Less likely, Chlamydophila or mycoplasma were the sole infectious agents or can be found concurrently with the FHV-1.

The cat at home is likely to already be a carrier of FHV-1 and so the timing of vaccinations isn't a significant concern for either the kitten or adult cat. I vote for waiting on getting the kitten boostered.

Hi Kathryn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?