Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I have indoor outdoor cat.... I see m trying to groom

Customer Question

I have indoor outdoor cat....
I see him trying to groom excessively on some parts of his body.
I checked him .. even I did not see any fleas... you never know !! I tried to bath him... of course that did not go well.
I used the drops at back of the neck to make sure no flees.
I feel some bumps on his skin. I can not see it... but I can feel very small zits..
what should I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Cats that over groom and have tiny bumps on their skin usually have a condition called miliary dermatitis. There are a number of causes of miliary dermatitis in cats, but most commonly it is an allergy related problem. You are right that fleas are the most common trigger for this, but defiantly not the only trigger. Be very diligent with the flea control even if you don't see fleas and use a good brand (such as advantage). You will also probably need to get him a cortisone injection at the vet to get it to clear up. It can be a challenge to identify the underlying problem. Sometimes it is a food related allergy so it might help to switch to a hypoallergenic diet. Often a good quality diet with a protein source that he hasn't had before is a good hypoallergenic choice. It is also a good idea to deworm him because internal parasites can trigger it.

If all that fails to help and you have had a veterinarian check for mites then it may be something that your cat just has to get periodic cortisone injections to treat.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.