Dani Rabwin
Dani Rabwin,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Broadway Pet Hospital

Have a kitten possibly 3 months old and ever since she was

Customer Question

Have a kitten possibly 3 months old and ever since she was found she seems to be bleeding from her rectum on and off. What could it be?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Dani, I'm a small animal veterinarian and I'm happy to help with Faya. Does she have diarrhea in addition to the bleeding? What are you feeding her? Please give me some additional information and I'll be able to offer some suggestions. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No diaherra and feeding her purina kitten dry food
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also have an older cat who at times bites kitten in that area. Which I try and watch them but can't always

That's great there's no diarrhea. Purina kitten is a good food. I recommend adding in canned food in addition to the dry. I actually like canned food for all cats.

I suspect that even though there's no diarrhea, internal parasites are very likely. Most kittens have parasites that they are born with, and some like Coccidia and Giardia can cause rectal bleeding. I think it pretty unlikely that the blood is induced by the other cats but it's possible. Has she seen a veterinarian yet for initial exam and vaccines? If so, then I recommend you ask your vet if you can drop off a fresh poop sample for analysis for parasites. If she hasn't seen a vet yet, then I'd start with an initial exam and vaccines, Feline Leukemia and FIV tests, and then a fecal test as well as a routine deworming.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

And please remember to rate me when you are satisfied with the service you've received, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time.

Dr. Dani

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is the rectum suppose to look swollen out at all?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think the older cat caused it just irritating the area
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last thing is there a sense of urgency to have her seen for that?

The rectum should not normally look swollen, but it certainly can if it is inflamed, which it sounds like it is. As long as she's eating and drinking well and is gaining weight, there's probably not a huge sense of urgency to have her seen; but I would certainly take her in as soon as you are able. In the meantime, I recommend adding in an over the counter feline probiotic such as Fortiflora - you can order this on Amazon or get at many pet stores. For a kitten I would give 1/2 packet per day mixed in food.

If it is parasites, they are contagious to other cats, and if your other cats are getting around her anal area or if they all share a litter box, then the others may be exposed as well. So certainly have a vet check her out and do a fecal test when you are able to get her in.

I hope that helps answer your questions! Let me know if not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well just noticed she is walking funny and looks a Lil bloated. Should I start to worry?