Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

At what outside temperature is it unsafe to leave a cat (in

Customer Question

At what outside temperature is it unsafe to leave a cat (in a carrier) in a car in the sunlight?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Please show your boss the following:

"Stanford University School of Medicine conducted a study to measure the temperature rise inside a parked car on sunny days with highs ranging from 72 to 96 degrees F. Their results showed that a car's interior can heat up by an average of 40 degrees F within an hour, regardless of ambient temperature. Ambient temperature doesn't matter - it's whether it's sunny out. Eighty percent of the temperature rise occurred within the first half-hour.Even on a relatively cool day, the temperature inside a parked car can quickly spike to life-threatening levels if the sun is out. Precautions such as cracking a window or running the air conditioner prior to parking the car were found to be inadequate."

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your prompt response, Doctor. This was an argument between myself and my boss. She wanted to put her cat (which has been 'visiting' here in our offices for several days) into the carrier into her car while there was an important meeting here in our offices during the middle of the day. My position was that it would be quite dangerous to the cat to be locked in a car - period! and especially in the middle of the day because of heat buildup. So I turned to you for a professional opinion (and we won - the cat stayed shut in her office during the meeting). I spent 15 years managing veterinary offices before my DVM retired and I came here to the Bar Association, so I get asked lots of animal questions. My old DVM and his wife are traveling and it's good to be able to turn to you for answers. Thank you again!

I'm pleased to help you out in your endeavors. Thank you for the good update. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.