Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Our male cat ate a piece of ribbon-the skinny kind you

Customer Question

Our male cat ate a piece of ribbon-the skinny kind you curl-could not cath him when he was eating it to pull it out of his mouth we do not know how long it is -we are very worried about obstruction or erosion of the intestine -he just threw up some food and it was not in the vomit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: I just read that a lady gave her cat hairball medicine 2-3 time a day and eventually he vomited the si
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: String out-another person found string hanging out of an us and was able to extract it (yuck!)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your situation! Can you tell me how long ago your kitty ate the string? How long is the string? And how long ago did she vomit?

Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

It appears that you may not be online to discuss your kitty right now, but I will reply here in case you check back in later. Some cats are able to pass foreign objects like string or ribbon, but we do always worry very much about the possibility of obstruction and plication of the intestines especially with linear objects. Unfortunately, if your kitty has vomited and the string hasn't come up, the recommendation would be to have him seen ASAP by a veterinarian. If he had not yet vomited we may consider giving him an oral laxative such as laxatone http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/tomlyn-laxatone-tuna-flavored-hairball-lubricant and monitoring closely for the next 48 hours for signs of a problem, which would include decreased appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain, straining to have a bowel movement, and vomiting. Unfortunately, your kitty has already shown a concerning symptom, which is vomiting, and so the safest thing would be to have him examined by your vet or an emergency vet if your vet doesn't have openings or isn't available.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.