Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My old cat is dying of cancer and taking Burprenorphine

Customer Question

My old cat is dying of cancer and taking Burprenorphine every 6 hours.
He is anxious and restless today and moving around in a crazed way although he can barely move. I am afraid that he is suffering badly.
I have someNatrol Melatonin, liquid formula. Should I give him some - will it help? How many mls in the dropper?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Yes, you can use melatonin in cats. It can help with anxiety and help them sleep. Dosage range for cats is usually 1.5-6 mg every 12-24 hours. If that is not helping, though, I would talk to your vet about prescribing an anti-anxiety medication or even seeing if you can increase the buprenorphine dose. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John