Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

What does blood in a cat's stool mean?

Customer Question

What does blood in a cat's stool mean?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is there a lot of blood or just a small amount?

Does he seem to have to defecate frequently or even try to go with very little stool coming out?

Any vomiting?

How is his appetite?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Small amt. of blood. Have 2 cats & don't know which one has passed the stool. The only strange behavior is that the cat is going in the bathtub instead of the litter box. They both are acting normal. No vomiting& they both have good appetites.Like I said, the only strange behavior is pooping in the tub.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the information. The small amount of blood in the stool and defecating outside the litter box usually indicates inflammation in the colon (colitis). Colitis is usually due to something they ate, even a change in diet or treats; but you can also see it with intestinal parasites (especially if going outside), stress, masses in the colon (unlikely with young age), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), liver problems and pancreatic problems. If they are acting normal otherwise, it most likely is something that was ingested or the start of some IBS issues. At the very least, I would have your vet run a fecal exam and get the kitty on some metronidazole and a high fiber diet. It will usually resolve that way, and I would only start thinking about IBS if it is a chronic problem. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel Or Oreo. How is everything going?

Dr. John