Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 21 year old cat : over the last year he has lost

Customer Question

i have a 21 year old cat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: over the last year he has lost lot of weight. He is peeing everywhere, pooping in random places. he limp when he walk, cant jump as well. Just doesnt seem happy.
JA: Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: friends tell me i should put him down. he doesnt seem sick, but he is not the cat the last few months.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: his name is cat
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cat?
Customer: i had labwork done a few months ago. it was all normal. but his peeing everywhere and crying mostly everynight are getting out of controll.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I agree he does not sound happy if he is limping, and can't jump. That sounds like he is painful somewhere, internally or in his joints. Pain medication may help with that.

Is he eating and drinking still? When a cat is really suffering, they usually stop eating. It is good that his labwork was normal a few months ago, but that may have changed.

Losing weight can be a sign of heart disease, cancer, pancreatitis, kidney disease, and hyperthyroidism. If he were mine, I would do a thorough physical exam, recheck his blood tests, and see if pain medication helps him to move around better. However, at his age, he could have a serious illness such as cancer or heart disease.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he eats, just randomly though.
He cries almost all night now!!
what does that mean?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

That can mean hyperthyroidism ( cats are more vocal at night with this condition sometimes), or that he is painful, or that he has heart disease, kidney disease, or cancer. I can't tell for sure what is wrong without being able to examine him: listen to his heart and lungs, palpate his joints for pain, etc.

I am pretty sure he is painful from the way you describe his limping and not jumping well. Pain medication might help him with at least some of his problems. There is no safe over the counter medication for people that you can give a cat; Tylenol for instance is poisonous to them. I would start him on Onsior or prednisone or buprenex and see if it helps, but you have to get these from his veterinarian.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is Cat doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?