Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

Fast breathing : Coda, 9 yo : 9 : No, behaving normal,

Customer Question

Fast breathing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Coda, 9 yo
JA: How old is CODA?
Customer: 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about CODA?
Customer: No, behaving normal, nothing out of e ordinary, just noticed his breathing was faster than usual. Not loud or wheezy, just inhaling and exhaling fast. Watching his tummy move up and down quickly. Wanted to make sure we didn't need to run him to the vet.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Does Coda go outside?

What was he doing right before the rapid breathing?

Is he breathing with his mouth open?

What color are his gums?

How long has the rapid breathing been going on?

Sorry about all the questions but want to see if it is an emergency.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He only goes on our enclosed upstairs porch. Gums are normal light pink. Only noticed it today. Only thing we can think that's different is we put him on new food this week. Last night gave him new grain free food. Mouth is closed, he's behaving normal. Only thing is we just happened to notice his belly going up and down quickly. When we noticed it, he's just been napping on the chair. Perfectly normal behavior.

Ok thank you. Can you wake him up and see if he is still breathing rapidly? Sometimes they breathe rapidly while they are sleeping.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
been watching him for the afternoon. He's awake and just taking a bath.still noticing the same thing. His tummy moving up and down rapidly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could it just have to do with him eating fast? We tried to give him wet food the other day, and he wasn't too thrilled with it so didn't eat much. That's when we got the new dry food. Could him being hungry and eating too fast cause this reaction?

Ok thanks,

That is very concerning.

I am thinking he may be having an allergic reaction or maybe an insect sting.

Worst case scenario it is asthma, pneumonia, or heart related.

Rapid breathing is also an indicator of pain somewhere if it is not caused by the respiratory tract itself.

I would take him into the regular vet while they are open. You would not want to wait until tonight and have it get worse and then you end up at the emergency clinic.

So I would take him in now. That is not normal for it to be going on this long.

If that is not an option you could try giving him 1/2 of a 25 mg benadryl in case he is having an allergic reaction. If that is the case the benadryl would work in 60 minutes.

No, eating too fast should not cause rapid breathing unless he has a stomach ache or he aspirated some food into his lungs.