Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat ate part of the leaf to a pepper plant. He vomited

Customer Question

My cat ate part of the leaf to a bell pepper plant. He vomited several times
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Should I be worried?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: Xavier 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: Nope. He is healthy and has had no other issues
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

The good news is bell peppers are not toxic to cats. But the leaves could certainly cause irritation to the stomach, possibly mouth which is why he is vomiting. If he had one or two vomits and seems fine (eating/drinking normally with good attitude) then you could monitor, but if the vomiting continues, then he needs to be seen by his veterinarian for an exam, possibly some lab work to ensure the eating of the leaf is not coincidental and there is really something else going on. Some cats' stomachs get so irritated from leaves that they require one or two days of medication to alleviate the stomach inflammation. Your vet can provide this.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.