Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cat has heart failure, a blood clot, just had fluid

Customer Question

My cat has heart failure, a blood clot, just had fluid extractions and is back home on 3 meds daily. He was given a long prognosis of 6-9 mths. He is only 8 years old. He is my family, and a huge part of my heart.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Pong, he is brother to Ping .. both boys, same litter.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pong?
Customer: I am wondering ... if there are any heart surgeries possible for Pong. Do any hospitals or universities perorm such procedures? I'm not sure it's possible.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Unfortunately, in regards ***** ***** question, the only operation one could do for heart failure is to replace the heart. Since cats cannot given permission to be organ donors and since removal of the heart of another cat would be fatal for them; heart transplantation isn't done in pets.

So, that is not a real viable option I am sorry to say. And this is why we focus on medical treatment with drugs to slow the disease progression as your vet is doing.

Please take care, my thoughts are with you,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.