Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM

My cat has a open wound and I am trying to clean it and

Customer Question

My cat has a open wound and I am trying to clean it and bandage it until I see the vet tomorrow. Is witchhazel safe to use on the wound.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: No not right now
JA: Phew. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sunny is 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sunny?
Customer: He is diabetic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you.......with not use witch hazel. You can safely use hydrogen peroxide mixed 50/50 with water and clean the wound with that.....and then get your kitty to the vet tomorrow as soon as you can. Do you have any other questions?

Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Ok, since you are not responding I will go ahead and leave rest of information. Once you clean with 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide then you can apply polysporin or neosporin before you bandage. Make sure to cover the wound if you use either of those two ointments so your cat will not lick.And make sure to get your cat to vet tomorrow asap. Also don't place too tight of a bandage. Hope this helps. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you very much!

Please note that the information I provide is intended as general information only and not intended to replace the advice of your veterinary professional.

Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B