Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have an older cat with a loose upper canine. It doesn't

Customer Question

Hello. I have an older cat with a loose upper canine. It doesn't seem to be bothering her and she's eating just fine. I was a vet tech for years (some time ago) and know I should be taking her in, but due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to suddenly move across the country and am without much money at the time being. I've been keeping an eye on her gums and just today noticed it's a little inflamed and red around the bad tooth. This canine tooth has been longer than the other since I rescued her eight years ago and I've always wondered and checked to see if it's loose. It hasn't been until about two weeks ago. She was missing both bottom canines when I rescued her as well. What are your thoughts on this tooth coming out on its own?
Thank you so much in advance.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Meeko. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If the tooth is loose, it will fall out on its own, but it may take a few days, even a few weeks. Since it has always been longer than the opposite tooth, it probably has been coming out all this time, and now the attachments are really broken down so the tooth is now loose. This is probably bothersome to downright painful for her. It would be best to have it removed, but if she is eating, you can wait for it to fall out on its own.

Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can help with or answer.