Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Over the last two weeks he has been losing weight and a

Customer Question

Over the last two weeks he has been losing weight and a couple of day ago quit eating at all. He is 6 years old and we noticed that his stomach is also distended. I called our veterinarian last week and since he doesn't travel well (he gets very upset) They gave me Veraflox antibiotic and his ears seemed to be bothering him so they gave him Motazol for his ears. It seemed to help some but then he quit drinking. We went to the vet yesterday for bloodwork and xrays. He is holding fluid in his lungs and stomach and heart was enlarged on xrays. His bloodwork was only off slightly on a couple of things and we didn't get much in the way of answers. We still have him on the antibiotic and gave him a shot of Lasix and his breathing seems better. They want to refer us to a university to do a chest lavage? Not sure if that is spelled right, but that would be a two and a half hour trip and he does not travel well. At this point I don't think he would survive the trip. Any ideas what this could be? Maybe congestive heart failure? He seems so young and healthy for that.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Our?
Customer: He tried to drink some water this morning and threw up violently a foamy substance. He comes when he hears the faucet running but just holds his head above the water and licks above the water line. I tried to give him a couple of eyedropper full just to give him a little water. He just went and hid in the corner
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are so worried about your cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The enlarged heart, and the fluid in his lungs and stomach does suggest this could be heart disease. I know he is young, but we sometimes see cardiomyopathy in young cats (males more than females, long haired breeds more than short haired breeds). If you check his gums, are they pink in color or pale?

There are also viral diseases like feline leukemia and FIP that can cause fluid buildup. Usually we see this in young cats, but usually like kittens to 2 years of age. Do you know if he was tested for feline leukemia when they did blood tests?

Do you have a copy of the blood test for me to see?

If the lasix helped, I would continue him on it. You can get a pill or liquid form of lasix from his veterinarian.

The chest lavage probably means using an ultrasound machine to remove fluid from his chest. That would give a sample of the fluid to analyze, which might tell what his problem is.

Try offering tuna juice, or chicken broth to see if you can get some fluids and some nutrition into him.

I agree with the moderator; this could be serious. Seeing a specialist is probably best. If he can't travel that far, does any other vet in your area have ultrasound?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is your cat doing? I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is he doing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Unfortunately Ozzy passed a couple of days after my email. Thanks for your response, I haven't been back to check emails till now.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

You are welcome. I am so sorry to hear he is gone. Thank you for letting me know; my sincere condolences.