Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Older male, outdoors, very difficult to handle. Has a really

Customer Question

Older male, outdoors, very difficult to handle. Has a really large gash behind the left ear. Open wound. Oozing but not openly bleeding. Dried blood all around it. He's been fed & has an appetite but again, challenging to treat. He won't be easy to apply any medical attention to. Any thoughts as to what I can/should do short of taking him to the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: hardly at all
JA: Phew. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Darwin (fitting) & he's 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Darwin?
Customer: just that this is vintage Darwin....can't keep him out of trouble. But other than that, no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Unfortunately, if he has a gash like this, it is at a high risk for infection. Therefore, how to approach this will depend on how much you can handle him and whether you are seeing any pus. If we are seeing pus or you don't think you can work with Darwin at all, then the best option is to have him seen by his regular vet (as its not an emergency) so that they can given him a long acting (ie Convenia, as it lasts 2 weeks) antibiotic injection.

Otherwise, if we don't have pus and you are up for a challenge with him, you can try to topically treat this. Ideally, we'd want him in for the short term, for ease of finding him to treat. From there, you will want to bathe the area and flush it out with a mild cat safe antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, salt water) 2-3 times daily. Afterwards, you can apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin --though not any with numbing agents) to the wound to facilitate healing and prevent infection. And usually we just need to do so for a few days up to a week depending on the size of the wound they are healing and their rate of doing so.

Overall, how to approach this will depend on just how much of a challenge Darwin plans to be. So, the topical care I outlined above would be our main focus here. But if you are struggling, then a long acting antibiotic from his vet would be best to just clear this, get it healing, and avoiding a secondary abscess in the tissues (which can recur if they do take root).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )